Trauma Counseling for Women, Teens, and Children
As a trauma therapist in Zachary, Louisiana, I offer in-person and online trauma-informed counseling for adults, teens, and children ages 7 years and older in Louisiana
The word “trauma” comes from the Greek word for “wound” and it includes both emotional and physical wounds. These wounds are painful and because they are uncomfortable to deal with, they can go ignored or pushed out of awareness for years until eventually, they surface and begin causing negative effects in your life. If you are reading this page because you want the symptoms to go away, I understand and I can help.
Trauma is subjective, meaning, what may have considered traumatic for me may not be traumatic for you. This explains why some veterans come home with no PTSD symptoms and some suffer horribly with PTSD. For 70% of people, traumatic memories usually resolve within a month. However, for the other 30%, they don’t. If you or someone you know are part of this 30% group, you are not alone. There is help available. Trauma won’t go away on its own. You will need the help of a trained counselor who can help you with resolving it.
Trauma is also very common. A research study from Duke University found that 2/3 of children experienced one life-threatening traumatic event by the time they were sixteen years old.
Trauma can come in the form of witnessing domestic abuse, being physically, emotionally, or sexually abused, bullying, harassment, experiencing burns, dog bites, witnessing and being a victim of a disaster, medical procedures, and motor vehicle accidents, just to name a few. If you have experienced an event where you felt like your life or body was in danger, that is considered trauma.
Watch this video to learn more about Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) for trauma with children:https://youtu.be/dRXJk580azw
EMDR Therapy for Trauma
As a trained EMDR therapist, I also use this form of therapy to treat clients, particularly adult clients. EMDR is becoming widely talked about due to its effectiveness. EMDR helps reprocess traumatic events so the mind and body can heal.
This excerpt is taken from the EMDRIA website (www.emdria.org):
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) therapy is an extensively researched, effective psychotherapy method proven to help people recover from trauma and other distressing life experiences, including PTSD, anxiety, depression, and panic disorders.
The American Psychiatric Association, the International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, the U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs/Dept. of Defense, The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, and the World Health Organization among many other national and international organizations recognize EMDR therapy as an effective treatment.
Watch this video to hear experts and clients discuss the benefits of EMDR
Please don’t suffer in silence. Reach out for the help you need. I am here to listen and provide treatment for the trauma you experienced.
Call 225-570-1331 today
I see clients both in-person and online for EMDR therapy.