Applying deodorant is a natural part of our day, just as brushing our teeth. After all, who wants to stink? Not me, sister, and I’m sure you don’t either.
So, what’s the deal with all-natural deodorants, what’s the best natural deodorant for women, and why should you give all natural deodorant a try? I’ll give you five great reasons below.
I know you’ve probably heard of all natural deodorants by now. You may have thought, “I’m not trying that. Mine works fine, there’s no way I’m going to take the chance of stinking…and, I bet it doesn’t work anyway.” I say this because I used to be one of those skeptical women who thought natural deodorant wouldn’t work. I’m also here to tell you that I’ve tried nearly ten brands and some didn’t work for me either. But before we get to the ones that DO (or at least for me) work, let’s talk about what’s in the drugstore brands that make them so bad for you.
Benefits of All Natural Deodorant & 5 Reasons to Give it a Try:
1. NO TOXIC CHEMICALS
Say bye bye to poisonous chemicals. Most all-natural deodorants don’t contain disease causing chemicals like aluminum, which have been linked to Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Autism, bone disorders and breast cancer. Other toxic deodorant ingredients that are found in over-the-counter varieties are:
- Parabens – preservative known to mimic estrogen and found present in some breast tumors
- Propylene Glycol- a chemical that acts as a penetration enhancer for other chemicals to enter your bloodstream
- Triclosan- antibacterial & antifungal agent linked to promoting drug resistance & possible hormone disruption
- TEA- a combo of the two toxic substances ethylene oxide and ammonia known to cause skin inflammation
- DEA- chemical also found in break fluid, antifreeze & degreasers. Ranked very toxic by the Skin Deep database
- Steareths- additives that help produce carcinogenic linked to organ toxicity
2. HEALTHIER LYMPH NODES
Lymph nodes and lymph fluid are designed to help filter harmful substances out of your body. When there are no toxic chemicals applied to your body, they are free to do what they are designed to do: keep you healthy
3. NO CLOGGED PORES
We are designed to sweat. It’s our body’s way of regulating our temperature and helping us detox. Antiperspirants block sweat because they contain aluminum compounds. As mentioned above, aluminum is toxic and is linked to many diseases. When you begin using all-natural deodorant, you will notice you sweat. Have no fear…you won’t stink! It’s the deodorant ingredients that prevent you from smelling. Antiperspirants stop you from sweating, which is unnatural
4. SMOOTHER PITS
Drugstore deodorants contain so many nasty chemicals that clog your pores and lead to skin irritation. Tired of the razorburns and bumpy armpits? Then, definitely give all-natural deodorant a try. They are packed with healthy ingredients, like oils, essential oils and ingredients you can actually pronounce, making your underarms smooth and less irritated
5. NO YELLOW PIT STAINS
I can say that since I’ve stopped using drugstore deodorant, I don’t have any shirts with nasty, yellow stains in the underarms anymore. Why? Because when using all-natural deodorant, there are no aluminum compounds which lead reactions that cause the nasty stains
Steps to Take When Transitioning to an All-Natural Deodorant
- Give yourself a 2-3 day detox from all deodorant. I know this seems scary, but all the nasty chemicals actually stay in your system for at least this long until they are gone.
- Do an armpit detox. During these no-deodorant days, simply make a paste using a natural bentonite clay (my favorite brand). To create the detox mixture, use 1 tablespoon of clay, 1.5 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and a couple teaspoons of water. Mix together until achieving a thick, creamy consistency and then gently rub on underarms. Leave on for 15-20 minutes and then wash with warm water and soap.
- Helpful info from Primal Pit Paste on what it looks and feels like to do a pit detox
- More helpful info from Primal Pit Paste on pit detox versus pit rash
What to Expect and the Natural Deodorant Rash
If you do the 3 day no-deodorant detox, you should notice a lot of sweating! When I say a lot, I mean, it may be excessive. Don’t worry! This is your body saying thank you. You’re actually sweating out all the nasty chemicals and your sweat glands are having a party because they are finally able to work properly again.
If you are unable to do the detox, no worries. However, chances are you’ll experience a day or two when you really sweat profusely. Again, don’t fret! Your body is adjusting and making a return to normalcy.
Give yourself a good 2-3 weeks to adjust to using all natural deodorant. During this time, be patient and know that your body will adjust.
If you do experience a rash, it may be due to baking soda in the all-natural deodorant. Not all deodorants contain this, but some people have issues with it. If you’re one, I have recommendations below that have worked well for me
Natural Deodorant that Works (even during workouts)
1.Primal Pit Paste Unscented Sensitive Skin– contains no baking soda
4. Schmidt’s Lavender Sensitive Skin deodorant– contains no baking soda
If you make the switch, let me know how it goes!
P.S…..Follow along on Instagram for future fun give-aways!
*Affiliate links included in post